New Schedules Start March 4
The changes to the remainder of our school year calendar are summarized below, and our website calendar has been updated. Changes to our schedule start on Monday, March 4th:
- Starting Monday, March 4th, the JFK K-8 student day will be 10 minutes longer in the afternoon with bus transportation. Our bell time will be 7:25-2:50. This schedule is DIFFERENT than the DCSD, which is also adding 10 minutes at the front of the day. For those students who ride the bus in the morning, expect a 10 minute earlier pick up time as we cannot control the bus times. We will supervise bus riders at JFK at the earlier time but not start classes for everyone until 7:25.
- Beginning Wednesday, March 6th there will be no early release on Wednesdays for the remainder of the school year. The K-8 bell time will be 7:25-2:50. There will be bus transportation. Again, morning bus riders should expect the bus route to be 10 minutes earlier.
- JFK will not have classes on Good Friday or Easter Monday. This is DIFFERENT than the DCSD ,which is going to school on Easter Monday. The Triduum is the most important part of the liturgical year in the Church. It ought to be recognized as such in a Catholic school and allow ample time for families to gather to celebrate the Resurrection. JFK will not have classes on either Good Friday or Easter Monday.
- March 7th is drop-in parent/teacher conferences for K-8.
- April 5th is the new end of the 3rd quarter. There is a two hour early dismissal for K-8. JFK’s bell time will be 7:25-12:50 with bus transportation.
- Thursday, June 6th is the last day of K-8 classes. There is a two hour early dismissal for K-8. JFK’s bell time will be 7:25-12:50 with bus transportation.
- Field day for K-8 is now Wednesday, June 5th. There is no Mass this Wednesday.
- Our last all school Mass is Thursday, June 6th.
- 8th grade graduation is Friday, June 7th.
- Starting Monday, Marth 4th, preschool morning classes for four year olds will change to 7:25-10:30 a.m. Afternoon classes will change to 11:45-2:50. Each class is 3:05 in length, and morning drop off and afternoon pick up will still match K-8. There are no changes for 3 year old preschool classes.
- Beginning Wednesday, March 6th the Wednesday schedule will be the same as the other days of the week. Preschool classes for four year olds will be 7:25-10:30 a.m., and afternoon classes will be 11:45-2:50.
- JFK will not have classes on Good Friday or Easter Monday. This is DIFFERENT than the DCSD ,which is going to school on Easter Monday. The Triduum is the most important part of the liturgical year in the Church. It ought to be recognized as such in a Catholic school and allow ample time for families to gather to celebrate the Resurrection. JFK will not have classes on either Good Friday or Easter Monday. For this year only, ECLC is open on Easter Monday.
- April 5th is the new end of the 3rd quarter. Due to the two hour early dismissal for K-8, there are no afternoon preschool classes.
- The last day of 4 yr old PS and 3 yr old PS classes is Wednesday, June 5th.
- The 4 yr old PS programs are in evening of June 5th.
- The 3 yr old PS family activity is June 6th.
- The last day of ECLC is June 7th.
With all of the focus on special schedules, please don’t forget that the week of March 10th is spring break. There are no PS or K-8 classes. ECLC is open.
Ash Wednesday: March 6
Ash Wednesday Mass times are 7:00 a.m., 8:15 a.m., and 6:00 p.m.
Yellow Out Dress Day
Thursday, March 7th is Yellow Out of Uniform Day. Yellow is the color associated with the fight against childhood cancer, and our out of uniform day is a follow up to our Pennies for Patients week. Students may be out of uniform, if they are wearing some yellow. (Good luck — I know I may have to look long and hard in my closet!)
Kindergarten Round-Up and Preschool and Childcare Registration for 2019-20
If you missed the Kindergarten Informational Sessions and Round-Up, please contact the school office as soon as possible. You don’t want to miss being put on our list for next year!
Some of our classes for 3, 4, and 5 year old preschool and/or childcare already have waiting lists forming for next school year. Register now while the classes that meet your family’s schedule still have openings.
New JFK Video
Our first draft of a new video highlighting the JFK Difference is available: JFK Difference. The video is available through multiple routes on our website. The easiest one is under the “JFK Difference” tab.
Tuition Tax Credit
Don’t forget to take advantage of the Iowa “tuition tax credit.” For the first $1,000 spent on each dependent’s education, $250 in tax credits are available on your Iowa taxes. No special forms are required any more. Please remember when doing the calculations, however, that the tax/calendar year actually splits two different school years with different tuition rates.
Boxtops Deadline for Spring Submission
The Boxtops deadline for our spring submission will be in mid-March. We’ll do the actual submission in April but volunteer Katrina Andybur needs time to trim and count the tabs. Boxtops that come in after mid-March will be held until the fall submission.
Protecting God’s Children and Virtus Training for Volunteers
Lisa Willows, OLV/JFK’s coordinator for staff and volunteers adhering to the diocese’s Protecting God’s Children program, has been sending emails to several people listed as volunteers for OLV and JFK. These emails are to advise people that they are registered as volunteers with us and out of compliance with the diocesan guidelines for trainings and/or background checks. Although there are not many on this short list, if you do receive an email from her about not being in compliance, please act immediately so your role as a volunteer can continue. We always need all the volunteers we can get!