Pre-Register for Kindergarten Now
There was a lot of interest in kindergarten at last week’s round-up. If you haven’t completed the pre-registration process, do so now. You don’t want to delay and risk being left out!
Preschool Pre-Registration Still Open Online
If you missed the preschool open house and pre-registration event, you can still pre-register online. The QR code and link are on the front page of our website, www.olvjfk.com. We will start to sort through the pre-registrations this week. We did notice a glitch in the wording of MWF 3 yr old preschool. The online menu had it incorrectly listed as “pm.” All of our 3 year old preschool classes are in the morning. We will reach out to families who signed up for MWF 3 year old preschool to confirm their intent.
JFK offers several preschool options all of which can be combined with partial or full-time wraparound care:
3 year olds: MWF a.m., T/Th a.m., or M-F a.m.
4/5 year olds: M-F a.m., or M-F p.m.
K-8 Pre-Registration Process for 2023-24
- All preschool, kindergarten, and returning families will need to enter information through the pre-registration/application survey. A QR Code and link/url are available on the front page of our website. Submissions are time/date stamped. For those unable to complete the pre-registration/application survey online, physical copies will be available at school.
- Pay the registration fee for K-8, three year old preschool, or “non-qualifying” four/five year old preschool OR the extra time fee for an “IA preschool” four year old preschool. The registration fee is regularly $125 per PK-12 student for a maximum of $375 per family. If paid prior to April 1st, the early bird amount is $100 per PK-12 student for a maximum of $300 per family. The extra time fee for four year old preschoolers is $250 per child. These fees can be paid online by following the link in the pre-registration/application survey. You can also go directly just to this payment link, without having to pre-register your child, which is especially handy if you already pre-registered but did not make the payment initially. Scroll down to the one time payment option to pay registration or extra time fees. Checks can also be made payable to JFK and sent to the school office.
- A non-qualifying preschooler is a non-Iowa resident or student who turns 5 on or before Sept 15th. Tuition is charged for this student, and there is a registration fee. There is no extra time fee.
- Complete a more detailed online process. This process will most likely be available in March.
As we move through the registration process, it is important that families be up-to-date in their payments of tuition and ECLC and other fees. Families who are not up-to-date will not be in the highest priority enrollment group and may not even be able to finalize their registration.
Tuition rates for K-12 have not yet been finalized for 2023-24 as we are still waiting for state guidance regarding Educational Savings Accounts. One of the most often asked questions in relation to ESAs is if tuition will be raised to the $7,600 amount available in an ESA. The answer is no. You can expect more modest tuition increases. The 2022-23 tuition rate for a parish supported child was $4,170 and $6,170 for a non-parish supported child. Please note that the average cost per pupil for a child in a SCCS elementary school is over $8,000. The difference between cost per pupil and tuition is made up by parish subsidy and fund-raising/donations.
Scott County Catholic School tuition rates for preschool, with or without wraparound care, have been set. They are in the linked document: Preschool Tuition Rates JFK
Note that there are now more options at JFK for preschool and wraparound care options. Taking account of all of the wraparound care offered, there are at least 17 preschool options available at JFK next year, including some new ones. Also note that ECLC is now considered wraparound care in SCCS and not billed separately from tuition. (No more weekly ECLC bills!)
New “Staff Member” Coming to JFK
Bandit, our newest staff member, is due to arrive at JFK after spring break. JFK is excited to expand on the mental health and social wellbeing services available to our students and staff by having a professional facility dog, which is a type of therapy dog. Bandit will be available for short visitations and to help emphasize components in SEL lessons. A huge thank you to Home and School for their generous donation to help make this possible! We would also like to thank JFK’s board of education which had the foresight this past spring to create the policy regarding such a staff member. JFK is, once again, fulfilling its vision of “leading the way in Catholic school education” by being the first Catholic school in our diocese with a professional facility dog on its staff.
Facility dogs can help with students dealing with anxiety, relationship problems, loneliness, anger, a lack of confidence, and stress. They can improve students’ attendance, decrease tardiness, reinforce learning, motivate speech and learning, improve social and communication skills, and facilitate counseling. They can even help lower one’s blood pressure!
Just so you know, we are working with an allergist on accommodating allergy sensitive students while maintaining a successful and beneficial relationship with our therapy dog. To help reduce airborne allergens, we do have air purifiers throughout the school building and a ventilation system. Bandit will also be bathed regularly and wiped down with a damp cloth throughout the day to help remove loose hair and dander. Students will wash their hands or use an antibacterial wipe or hand sanitizer after petting Bandit.
Emma Wolf, the main dog handler and with whom the dog will spend its nights and weekends, has created an Amazon list for anyone wishing to help support Bandit with treats, toys, bandanas, and other items that Bandit might need at school: https://www.amazon.com/hz/wishlist/ls/B0JIB58UPXPO?ref_=wl_share
Middle School Position, with Math Emphasis, Open for 2023-24
JFK is seeking a middle school, primarily math, teacher for 2023-24. Mrs. Clark will be moving back to Utah where family resides. Interested applicants should send a letter of interest, resume, copy/link of one’s Iowa license, and list of references to firstname.lastname@example.org. More information is on TeachIowa.gov
See the calendars on our website for more complete information as the below are only some of the highlights.
- Mar 1: Scratch Cupcake delivery
- Mar 2: Field trips for 5, 7, and 8
- Mar 3: 8th Grade/SAU Career Fair
- Mar 3-5: Men’s CEW
- Mar 10: 2-8 Reconciliation. Green/White Dress day
- Mar 11-19: Spring Break. ECLC open on weekdays.
- Mar 20: Classes resume