Catholic Schools Week Preview
Below is a summary of events for Catholic Schools Week.
Saturday, Jan 25:
- All school Mass, 4:30. Attendance is expected. Students are encouraged to wear JFK spirit wear and/or green and white.
- Spaghetti Supper and Open House, 5:30 – 7:30. Book fair is open as well.
Monday, Jan 27:
- Dodgeball for Diapers Day. Forms for this 3rd-8th grade fundraiser will be emailed and sent home in “backpack” mail.
- Athletic dress day — out of uniform (but following the out of uniform guidelines in our handbook as all our special dress days must)
Tuesday, Jan 28:
- Talent Show
- 7:45 Grades 4, 1, 2, 3 in this order.
- 12:25 Grades K, 5, 6, 7, 8 in this order.
- All acts and music must be approved by homeroom teachers.
- Forms due January 21st. Forms went home before Christmas break
- Class dress alike day. Look for information from your child’s homeroom teacher.
- Students may bring a pillow upon which to sit.
Wednesday, Jan 29:
- All School Mass, 7:40
- Puppet show for MWF 3 yr old preschool
- Bring an Adult Guest to Lunch Day
- Visit the book fair after lunch
- 10:40 – 11:10 K
- 11:10 – 11:40 3rd and 4th grades
- 11:40 – 12:10 1st and 2nd grades
- 12:10 – 12:40 5th and 6th grades
- 12:40 – 1:10 7th and 8th grades
- Parents may take their students home after lunch. However, both a child’s homeroom teacher and office need to be informed.
- A lunch note will be sent home to pre-purchase your adult meal. School lunch for adults will only be available through this pre-payment requirement so we have time to order enough food for everyone.
- Green and white and/or JFK spirit wear out of uniform dress day (Mass appropriate)
Thursday, Jan 30:
- All Catholic schools Mass at AHS for grades 2-8. Look for a separate permission slip yet to be sent home and emailed.
- Everyone will be in uniform/dress code.
Friday, Jan 31:
- Wacky Tacky Out of Uniform Day
- 8th grade vs. Staff Volleyball Game, 1:30
- Special activities in grades K-2
- 4 year old preschool
- AM classes: Snack, puppet show, book fair. Adults welcome. 7:25 – 8:15ish for special activities.
- PM classes: Snack, puppet show, book fair. Adults welcome. 11:40 – 12:30ish for special activities
- Kindergarten Informational Sessions and Round-up are right around the corner. Parents will have an informational session, and students will get to be kindergartners for the “day.” Find out how the difference in us will make a difference in your child’s education.
- Feb 6: 7:30 – 9:00 a.m. in the parish center, or
- Feb 6: 6-7:30 p.m. in the cafeteria
Other Special Schedules or Events
January 6: Band Boosters, 6:30 p.m.
January 9: Kick off for Kids Heart Challenge. Home & School, 6:30, Parish Center
January 12: Confirmation Sponsor Service Day
January 13/14: Crusader Theater Tryouts for 8th graders
January 14: 7th/8th Science Fair Showcase, 6:00
January 15: 8th Grade Parent Meeting at AHS, 6:30
January 16: End of 2nd Quarter. Special 12:40 Dissmissal. No PM preschool classes.
January 17: In-service. No classes. ECLC open
January 18: Parishioner Appreciation Dinner, parish center. Doors open at 5:30 with food served at 6:00. Beverages, hors d’oeuvres, and desserts provided FREE. Light entertainment is included. Free childcare and kid-friendly food are also available. RSVP to the parish office (563-391-4245 or firstname.lastname@example.org).
January 20: M.L.King Day. No classes. ECLC open.
January 23: Drop In K-8 Parent/Teacher Conferences, 4:30 – 7:30 p.m. Four/five year old PS conferences will be scheduled. No 4/5 yr old PS classes. Skate Night.
January 24: Four/five year old PS conferences will be scheduled. No 4/5 yr old PS classes.
OLV parish bulletin: Click HERE or use the following link/url: https://www.olvjfk.com/olv/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2020/01/January-5-2020.pdf
Nice to Spend Time with Family
It was nice to spend time with family members over the break. My oldest daughter and her boyfriend were here for about a week. Tom has been here for about three weeks and flies back to Charleston, SC early this week. Kirsten was here for five days, and Caitlin is still home on her break from college for another week. We didn’t do anything real exciting or special other than our regular Christmas Eve/Day traditions. It’s just nice to have family with whom one can eat, go to the store, play cards, watch a movie or football, talk and tease one another. Yes, we could do these things with friends, but there’s just something different when doing it with family.