Welcome Back, Mrs. Youngerman
With her leukemia in remission, Mrs. Youngerman is returning to school on October 9th. It has been a long time since she has been able to be in the classroom. We want to thank everyone for their support, including those classes that will have schedule changes so we can accommodate her late afternoon four week daily treatment cycles. It’ll be good to see you back in your room, Mrs. Youngerman!
Welcome, Christian Jackson Tilkens
Christian Jackson Tilkens was born on Oct 4th at 9:57 pm. He couldn’t wait any longer to be with all of his family!
Mrs. Tilkens’ PE duties will be split between Mrs. Pat Cannaday and Mrs. Marissa Antle. We also want to thank Mr. Ryan, Mrs. Woerdehoff, JFK graduate Adam Burke, and other staff members who are stepping forward to help with all of Mrs. Tilkens’ other duties.
Text Messaging Service Needs Your Action
JFK and Faith Formation will be using SchoolMessenger for its automated email, phone, and text messaging service.
In order to receive text messages, please type “Y” or “Yes” to 67587. You will not receive text messages if you do not take action yourself.
There is no action required to receive email or phone messages.
- Oct 9: Band Butterbraid Bread (try saying that fast three times!) Sale begins on Oct 9th. Orders will be received prior to Thanksgiving.
- Oct 11: Davenport Fire Department will be at JFK for our youngest students. October is Fire Prevention Month.
- Oct 13: Friday Adventure Night (Middle School Youth Ministry)
- Oct 16: Skate Night — Halloween Theme (Kid Friendly and Skate Safe Costumes, no capes)
- Oct 18: AHS Information Knight for all grades, 5:30 – 6:30 p.m.
- Oct 20: End of 1st quarter. 1:00 Dismissal. No afternoon preschool classes. Pumpkin Run
- Oct 24 and 26: Parent/teacher conferences. Grades PS-5 will receive an email with a link to set up your time. Grades 6-8 are “drop in” in the cafeteria so parents can visit with each of their child’s teachers.
- Oct 26 and 27: No PS-8 classes
- Oct 28: Trunk or Treat, 5:30-6:30, in the parking lot
- Oct 30: Teacher In-Service, no PS-8 classes
- Oct 31: Black/orange out of uniform dress day. National Mix It Up Day (done at lunches). All Saints Day Vigil Mass at 7:00 p.m.
- Nov 1: Holy Day Mass — All Saints Day (Masses at 7:00 a.m., 8:15 a.m., and 6:00 p.m.)
Land Donated to Our Lady of Victory
Kwik-Trip, Inc. essentially donated the two parcels of land immediately south of our parking lot to OLV. OLV now owns the brown and white houses on Division and the land to the east up to the ravine. Kwik-Trip owns the properties along Sturdevant.
JFK’s Handbook and Policies
JFK’s parent and student handbook can be accessed on our website under the “For Parents,” and “Policies and Forms” headings and is linked here. Please access the handbook, review it with your child(ren), print the sign-off page, and return the signed page to the school office. By not printing hard copies for every family, we can significantly save paper.
H & S Messages
Send in your Box Tops for Education. A fall submittal is coming up in October.
Pumpkin Run is October 20th. It takes a lot of people all doing a little bit to make the evening successful. Sign up to volunteer now: http://signupgenius.com/go/20f0c48abaf2da0ff2-pumpkin .
Dawn Henning Assumes New Role with Tuition
We are attempting to consolidate a variety of school related financial work under one position. Dawn Henning will now be responsible for PS and K-8 tuition and contracts and financial assistance awards, JFK registration/fees, lunch program accounting, and child care fees, responsibilities that used to be spread among at least three parish and school office staff members. Assistance and oversight is still provided by parish and school administration, but now, if one wants to know how much is owed to OLV/JFK, Dawn should be able to give the answer.
Youth Ministry Information
The Diocese of Davenport’s Junior High School Rally is Sunday October 15th, from 9:30 am – 5:00 pm. Featured speakers include Mathias Michael and Bishop Zinkula. There are breakout sessions, music, group games, lunch, and small group sessions with other teens all focused on the Mass. Parent chaperones are needed to drive and supervise the teens once there. If students register by Wednesday, the costs are $30 per teen and $20 per adult. The costs after Wednesday increase $5. Lunch is provided, and attendees should bring money as a dinner stop on the way home is a possibility. More info here: https://www.davenportdiocese.org/jhrally