Lead the Way: JFK “Onlys”
Sometimes leading the way in Catholic school education means being the “only.” Consistent with highlighting this year’s theme of “Lead the Way,” below are a few “onlys” for JFK:
- 60-90 minutes of English/Language Arts per day in grades 6-8 (JFK also has 60-90 minutes of ELA per day for grade 5 and 90-120 minutes per day for K-4)
- 60 minutes of math instruction K-8
- Civic Oration (research paper process and public speaking, grades 5-8)
- Regularly budgeted textbook replacement cycle
- Partner with the Department of Education and AEA for Multi-Tiered Systems of Support (MTSS) for literacy
- Piloting of state’s new Self-Assessment of MTSS Implementation system
- Social-Emotional-Behavior screener (4th grade and will be expanded to 7th grade this year)
- Leaps & Bounds (summer academic program)
- Specials twice per week for full periods
- Creative Crusaders
- Mass at Ridgecrest
- Geothermal showcase system in library and a 5th grade classroom
- Air conditioning in cafeteria
- Long-term HVAC recommendation
- Nearly 2.5 resource teachers/interventionists funded from our own budget
- Equivalent of > 1.0 FTE Title I funded interventionists during the day and after school
- Five FT/PT K-5 instructional aides
Text Messaging Service Needs Your Action
JFK and Faith Formation will be using SchoolMessenger for its automated email, phone, and text messaging service.
In order to receive text messages, please type “Y” or “Yes” to 67587. You will not receive text messages if you do not take action yourself.
There is no action required to receive email or phone messages.
What Does It Mean to be a Registered and Participating Member of OLV?
An OLV registered and participating member, at a minimum, follows the precepts of the Church and is called to go far beyond the minimum in the love of God and neighbor. Below are the precepts, adapted for fulfillment by participation in the Church through Our Lady of Victory:
- Attend Mass at OLV on at least 30 weekends out of the year. While attending Mass on Sundays and on holy days of obligation is a precept of the Church, attending the majority of those Masses here at OLV ensures that the parish and families develop their relationship together as disciples of Christ.
- Confess one’s sins at least once per year.
- Receive Holy Communion at least once per year, during the Easter season.
- Observe the days of fast and abstinence.
- Provide for the needs of the Church, including OLV. The use of envelopes or electronic funds transfer should be used by OLV registered and participating members to facilitate this obligation. If this obligation is too much of a hardship, an individualized plan for donated services/voluntarism may be agreed upon.
In addition, the following are also included in the definition of an OLV registered and participating member:
- Register in the parish by completing the parish registration form.
- Participate in and help with parish/school activities.
According to the tuition policy, active participating members of OLV pay a reduced JFK tuition rate. Users of the school who are not active participating members of Our Lady of Victory shall pay a higher tuition rate. They are still expected, however, to support the values of the school and participate in and help with parish/school activities.
Church Roof Work Begun (Again)
Work on the second replacement roof for the church seems to be moving quickly. For details, please see Fr. Greiner’s column in the church bulletin:
Younkers Fundraiser for 8th Graders
JFK’s 8th graders are participating in the Younkers Community Days. They are currently selling $5 coupon books for the event that will run November 8-11. THEY GET TO KEEP 100% of the profit, which is used to help fund the 8th grade end of the year field trip. There are several ways to buy a coupon book:
1. Contact an 8th grader, or send $5 through backpack mail to Jody Beltran whose student is in 8K. Mrs. Beltran will send you a coupon book. Please indicate “Younkers Fundraiser” and your child’s name and teacher/grade on the envelope as well.
2. Buy online by following the simple steps in this post!
3. 8th graders may also be selling at the North Park Younkers store on Nov 4th from noon until 4pm
JFK’s Handbook and Policies
JFK’s parent and student handbook can be accessed on our website under the “For Parents,” and “Policies and Forms” headings and is linked here. Please access the handbook, review it with your child(ren), print the sign-off page, and return the signed page to the school office. By not printing hard copies for every family, we can significantly save paper.
Three Of Four This Weekend
My wife Lynn and I were able to see three of our four children this weekend. Our youngest, Caitlin, was competing in Mock Trial for the University of Kansas at Drake University so we drove to Des Moines to spend Saturday evening with her. On Friday night, Kirsten and her boyfriend took a break from their studying and other evening plans to carve pumpkins and eat Burger King with us (both of which, I should mention, Lynn and I paid for!) During the day on Friday, Lynn and I met Tom in Dubuque where he helped us clean out my oldest daughter’s apartment as the job Colleen found in North Carolina started immediately. Each time we were with our kids there was such a feeling of peace. Even though they are all adults, they are still our children. It’s such a good feeling to see them, spend some time with them, and be able to tell in person that they are all doing well.