Lead the Way: Technology Firsts
I mentioned earlier that this year’s theme is “Lead the Way.” I’ll spend a few weeks highlighting how JFK is leading the way in Catholic school education. Here are this week’s offerings regarding technology:
- First to have a wireless network throughout the building.
- First to have interactive whiteboards/projectors in every classroom.
- First to have document cameras in every classroom.
- First to be 1 to 1 in grades 5 – 8.
- First to use a computer based reading screener for help in identifying students who need extra help.
- First to have a full-time technology coordinator.
- First to have a Facebook closed group for community communications.
- First to have technology tools for staff to use for lesson/unit planning.
- First to have the electrical power/wiring upgraded throughout the building to support today’s needs.
Text Messaging Service Needs Your Action
JFK and Faith Formation will be using SchoolMessenger for its automated email, phone, and text messaging service.
In order to receive text messages, please type “Y” or “Yes” to 67587. You will not receive text messages if you do not take action yourself.
There is no action required to receive email or phone messages.
- Oct 24 and 26: Parent/teacher conferences. Grades PS-5 will receive an email with a link to set up your time. Grades 6-8 are “drop in” in the cafeteria so parents can visit with each of their child’s teachers.
- Oct 26 and 27: No PS-8 classes
- Oct 28: Trunk or Treat, 5:30-6:30, in the parking lot
- Oct 30: Teacher In-Service, no PS-8 classes
- Oct 31: Black/orange out of uniform dress day. National Mix It Up Day (done at lunches). All Saints Day Vigil Mass at 7:00 p.m.
- Nov 1: Holy Day Mass — All Saints Day (Masses at 7:00 a.m., 8:15 a.m., and 6:00 p.m.)
JFK’s Handbook and Policies
JFK’s parent and student handbook can be accessed on our website under the “For Parents,” and “Policies and Forms” headings and is linked here. Please access the handbook, review it with your child(ren), print the sign-off page, and return the signed page to the school office. By not printing hard copies for every family, we can significantly save paper.
What Does It Mean to be a Registered and Participating Member of OLV?
An OLV registered and participating member, at a minimum, follows the precepts of the Church and is called to go far beyond the minimum in the love of God and neighbor. Below are the precepts, adapted for fulfillment by participation in the Church through Our Lady of Victory:
- Attend Mass at OLV on at least 30 weekends out of the year. While attending Mass on Sundays and on holy days of obligation is a precept of the Church, attending the majority of those Masses here at OLV ensures that the parish and families develop their relationship together as disciples of Christ.
- Confess one’s sins at least once per year.
- Receive Holy Communion at least once per year, during the Easter season.
- Observe the days of fast and abstinence.
- Provide for the needs of the Church, including OLV. The use of envelopes or electronic funds transfer should be used by OLV registered and participating members to facilitate this obligation. If this obligation is too much of a hardship, an individualized plan for donated services/voluntarism may be agreed upon.
In addition, the following are also included in the definition of an OLV registered and participating member:
- Register in the parish by completing the parish registration form.
- Participate in and help with parish/school activities.
According to the tuition policy, active participating members of OLV pay a reduced JFK tuition rate. Users of the school who are not active participating members of Our Lady of Victory shall pay a higher tuition rate. They are still expected, however, to support the values of the school and participate in and help with parish/school activities.
JMC Access Outside the Building Restored
We believe we identified the issue that was causing JMC to not work correctly from outside the building. Mediacom was having a routing problem with their upstream provider. This has been resolved, so I’m hopeful that the JMC issue is over.
Church Roof Work Begun (Again)
Work on the second replacement roof for the church began on Friday. For details, please see Fr. Greiner’s column in last week’s church bulletin:
Younkers Fundraiser for 8th Graders
JFK’s 8th graders are participating in the Younkers Community Days. They are currently selling $5 coupon books for the event that will run November 8-11. THEY GET TO KEEP 100% of the profit, which is used to help fund the 8th grade end of the year field trip. There are several ways to buy a coupon book:
1. Contact an 8th grader, or send $5 through backpack mail to Jody Beltran whose student is in 8K. Mrs. Beltran will send you a coupon book. Please indicate “Younkers Fundraiser” and your child’s name and teacher/grade on the envelope as well.
2. Buy online by following the simple steps in this post!
3. 8th graders will be selling coupon books after Masses on the weekend of 10/28-10-29.
4. 8th graders will also be selling at the North Park Younkers store on Nov 4th from noon until 4pm