Lead the Way
I mentioned earlier that this year’s theme is “Lead the Way.” I’ll spend a few weeks highlighting how JFK is leading the way in Catholic school education. Here are this week’s offerings:
- First in the area to offer childcare for preschoolers and expand preschool to seven offerings (four classes for 4/5 year olds, a T/Th 3 yr old class, a MWF 3 yr old class, and a M-F class for 3 yr olds in ECLC).
- First in the area to require science fair projects at more than one grade level (7th and 8th grades).
- First in the area to include cognitive, skills development, and participation in PE grading. First to utilize heart rate monitors.
- First to have 8th graders tour a college campus. (Now, the tour is wrapped into Career Fair for all of the Scott County Catholic schools. Career Fair is the largest joint venture with SAU with the recent exception of the athletic complex off of Central Park Ave.)
- First to offer junior high Mock Trial.
- First Catholic elementary school to have a school counselor, first to make the position full-time, and first to offer school-based therapist services with a private provider.
- First to utilize a camera and intercom system for building security. (We’re also the only Catholic school in the area to have the school offices at the exterior of the building.)
- First to utilize two-way radios for communications throughout the building and campus.
Text Messaging Service Needs Your Action
JFK and Faith Formation will be using SchoolMessenger for its automated email, phone, and text messaging service.
In order to receive text messages, please type “Y” or “Yes” to 67587. You will not receive text messages if you do not take action yourself.
There is no action required to receive email or phone messages.
- Oct 16: Skate Night — Halloween Theme (Kid Friendly and Skate Safe Costumes, no capes). 6-8 p.m. at the Eldridge Skate Park. Price is $3 per skater and $1.50 for skate rental.
- Oct 18: AHS Information Knight for all grades, 5:30 – 6:30 p.m.
- Oct 20: End of 1st quarter. 1:00 Dismissal. No afternoon preschool classes. Pumpkin Run
- Oct 24 and 26: Parent/teacher conferences. Grades PS-5 will receive an email with a link to set up your time. Grades 6-8 are “drop in” in the cafeteria so parents can visit with each of their child’s teachers.
- Oct 26 and 27: No PS-8 classes
- Oct 28: Trunk or Treat, 5:30-6:30, in the parking lot
- Oct 30: Teacher In-Service, no PS-8 classes
- Oct 31: Black/orange out of uniform dress day. National Mix It Up Day (done at lunches). All Saints Day Vigil Mass at 7:00 p.m.
- Nov 1: Holy Day Mass — All Saints Day (Masses at 7:00 a.m., 8:15 a.m., and 6:00 p.m.)
JFK’s Handbook and Policies
JFK’s parent and student handbook can be accessed on our website under the “For Parents,” and “Policies and Forms” headings and is linked here. Please access the handbook, review it with your child(ren), print the sign-off page, and return the signed page to the school office. By not printing hard copies for every family, we can significantly save paper.
What Does It Mean to be a Registered and Participating Member of OLV?
An OLV registered and participating member, at a minimum, follows the precepts of the Church and is called to go far beyond the minimum in the love of God and neighbor. Below are the precepts, adapted for fulfillment by participation in the Church through Our Lady of Victory:
- Attend Mass at OLV on at least 30 weekends out of the year. While attending Mass on Sundays and on holy days of obligation is a precept of the Church, attending the majority of those Masses here at OLV ensures that the parish and families develop their relationship together as disciples of Christ.
- Confess one’s sins at least once per year.
- Receive Holy Communion at least once per year, during the Easter season.
- Observe the days of fast and abstinence.
- Provide for the needs of the Church, including OLV. The use of envelopes or electronic funds transfer should be used by OLV registered and participating members to facilitate this obligation. If this obligation is too much of a hardship, an individualized plan for donated services/voluntarism may be agreed upon.
In addition, the following are also included in the definition of an OLV registered and participating member:
- Register in the parish by completing the parish registration form.
- Participate in and help with parish/school activities.
According to the tuition policy, active participating members of OLV pay a reduced JFK tuition rate. Users of the school who are not active participating members of Our Lady of Victory shall pay a higher tuition rate. They are still expected, however, to support the values of the school and participate in and help with parish/school activities.
H & S Message
Pumpkin Run is October 20th. It takes a lot of people all doing a little bit to make the evening successful. Sign up to volunteer now: http://signupgenius.com/go/20f0c48abaf2da0ff2-pumpkin .