There Is a Difference in Education
- You know it’s a special place when siblings give each other a quick hug as they pass on the way in/out to recess. (And, sometimes it’s the older kids that initiate it!)
- From a JA teacher: “I can honestly say that in the 3 plus years of volunteering in the classroom your group was the most engaged and well-behaved group that I have worked with! They were absolutely wonderful, and it was such an enjoyable experience for me.”
- From a kindergartner on the way into the school performance of Crusader Theater: “This is going to be BIIIG!”
- From a 2nd grader on the way into the school performance of Crusader Theater: “This is going to be the best one ever!”
JFK conducts a detailed “school climate” survey of parents, 3rd-8th grade students, and JFK staff about every 2-3 years. It is time for our 2017 survey. Information is used from the survey to celebrate our successes and to allow focus on areas for growth. The open-ended questions are particularly beneficial for these purposes. Please complete the survey before Thanksgiving (and we get too busy with the holidays). The link to the parent survey has been sent via email.
Home & School Meeting
One of the most exciting discussions from last week’s Home & School meeting dealt with the possibility of a plant/flower sale in the spring. While it might start smaller this year, those present at the meeting felt it might become something big enough to replace the magazine sale! Imagine a new fund-raiser big enough to meet all of the current obligations and do something real big in a couple of years, like replace all the wood playground equipment that is slowly being pulled out as it continues to deteriorate after more than 25 years of use.
Advent is Perfect Time to Rededicate Ourselves to Weekend Mass Attendance
Weekend Mass attendance at OLV has seemed rather low lately. Attending Sunday/Saturday Mass is one of the precepts of the Church:
- Attend Mass on Sundays and on holy days of obligation. (Attending the majority of those Masses here at OLV ensures that the parish and families develop their relationship together as disciples of Christ.)
- Confess one’s sins at least once per year.
- Receive Holy Communion at least once per year, during the Easter season.
- Observe the days of fast and abstinence.
- Provide for the needs of the Church. (This support includes the parish. The use of envelopes or electronic funds transfer should be used by OLV registered and participating members to facilitate this obligation. If this obligation is too much of a hardship, an individualized plan for donated services/voluntarism may be agreed upon.)
Using a very generous estimate of 35-40 K-8 students at the 9:00 a.m. Mass this weekend and assuming the same numbers at the other three Masses, including the 7:00 a.m. Mass, which typically has fewer than twelve K-8 students, one could arrive at an estimate of 140-160 K-8 students at OLV this weekend. That range would translate into about 41% – 48% of the JFK students who are OLV parishioners at Mass at OLV this weekend.
Advent, which begins December 3rd, is a perfect time to rededicate ourselves to weekend Mass attendance.
JFK Spirit Night Fundraiser at Chuck E. Cheese
Our Chuck E. Cheese Family Night fundraiser is Wednesday, November 29th from 3-9 pm. We will get back 15% of all JFK sales that night. That includes all food, merchandise and token deals with the mention of JFK. Coupon forms (reminders) and a sticker for 10 free tokens will be coming the day of the event, and Chuck E. Cheese will be in the JFK parking lot at dismissal time that afternoon.
Ho Ho Ho! The Santa Claus Chronicles
Ho Ho Ho! The Santa Claus Chronicles children’s workshop and play will be presented by Assumption students on December 9th and 10th in the AHS auditorium. Registration begins at 9:30 a.m with the workshop for 1st – 6th graders beginning at 10:00. The $30 registration fee includes workshops, lunch, children’s t-shirt, and admission to the play at 2:00. The registration form was emailed last week and is available by clicking HERE.
Please remember that the JFK Home & School Directory is not to be used for solicitation purposes.
The use of the school building and parish property on Sundays before 12:00 p.m. (noon) is restricted for activities of the worshipping community in sacraments, liturgies, spiritual formation programs, Church life, pastoral events, and educational activities of the Church. The JFK building, gym, and parish center are reserved for Wednesday faith formation programming a half hour before sessions begin through a half hour after sessions conclude, unless special programming warrants otherwise.