There Is a Difference in Education
- From a JA teacher: “I can honestly say that in the 3 plus years of volunteering in the classroom your group was the most engaged and well-behaved group that I have worked with! They were absolutely wonderful, and it was such an enjoyable experience for me.”
- From a kindergartner on the way into the school performance of Crusader Theater: “This is going to be BIIIG!”
- From a 2nd grader on the way into the school performance of Crusader Theater: “This is going to be the best one ever!”
- You know it’s a special place when siblings give each other a quick hug as they pass on the way in/out to recess. (And, sometimes it’s the older kids that initiate it!)
Please review the calendars on our website. They are revised on a weekly basis, if not more often. Below are SOME of the upcoming events:
- Nov 13: Skate Night. Optional band field trip to the University of Iowa Band Extravaganza
- Nov 16: Home & School
- Nov 17: Blue Out Dress Day for JDRF
- Nov 18: Mock Trial
- Nov 22-24: Thanksgiving Break. ECLC open on Nov 22nd.
My G.R.O.W Card
Even I can receive a G.R.O.W. card! 7W gave me a G.R.O.W. card for cleaning off the tops of lockers. G.R.O.W. cards are part of our Positive Behavioral Interventions and Support system.
Scott County Catholic Schools
Pastors, board presidents, and administrators of Scott County Catholic schools and representatives from the AHS Foundation (which also operates the financial assistance program for Scott County Catholic schools and has agreed to pay for strategic planning) met last week. They agreed to pursue a consultant/consulting firm that could help determine how Catholic school education in Scott County can be made stronger and meet the needs for the future. A sub-group was formed to identify one or two options for the consultants. We anticipate that the consultant will utilize several focus groups and surveys after Christmas.
Mass Attendance Seems Low Lately
Weekend Mass attendance at OLV has seemed rather low lately. Attending Sunday/Saturday Mass is one of the precepts of the Church:
- Attend Mass on Sundays and on holy days of obligation. (Attending the majority of those Masses here at OLV ensures that the parish and families develop their relationship together as disciples of Christ.)
- Confess one’s sins at least once per year.
- Receive Holy Communion at least once per year, during the Easter season.
- Observe the days of fast and abstinence.
- Provide for the needs of the Church. (This support includes the parish. The use of envelopes or electronic funds transfer should be used by OLV registered and participating members to facilitate this obligation. If this obligation is too much of a hardship, an individualized plan for donated services/voluntarism may be agreed upon.)
Here’s a couple of interesting examples from this weekend:
- We had nearly 100% attendance of 7th/8th graders at Crusader Theater on Thursday and Friday evenings. After subtracting about 15% of the students who are either members of another Catholic parish or are of another religious denomination, there still should probably be about 80 or more JFK 7th/8th graders at Mass this weekend. At the 9:00 a.m. Mass at OLV, there were probably less than ten.
- There were about four K-2nd graders who attended the Children’s Liturgy of the Word at the 9:00 a.m. Mass. While utilizing this opportunity is not a requirement, one might have expected more than four from a parish with approximately 140 children in the K-2 grade span, including both JFK and Faith Formation students.
I hope there were more families at the other Masses at OLV, or families were able to attend Mass at other parishes!
The use of the school building and parish property on Sundays before 12:00 p.m. (noon) is restricted for activities of the worshipping community in sacraments, liturgies, spiritual formation programs, Church life, pastoral events, and educational activities of the Church. The JFK building, gym, and parish center are reserved for Wednesday faith formation programming a half hour before sessions begin through a half hour after sessions conclude, unless special programming warrants otherwise.